Nigel’s Top 10 Eco Christmas Picks 27.11.07
David B picking up some
gift ideas from Nigel
Nigel’s Eco Store an ethical online retailer, has come up with a selection of environmentally friendly eco gifts and products for Christmas 07 that will help people save money, reduce their carbon footprint and live a greener kind of life long after the turkey and trimmings have been cleared away for composting.
A welcome alternative to the heinous experience of festive high street shopping, Nigel’s practical, functional, and desirable range - chosen from the best recycled, organic, green and eco friendly products around – makes choosing a thoughtful present easy and painless.
Nigel’s Top 10 Eco Christmas Picks
1. Solar Powered Christmas Rope Lights These solar powered rope lights are the perfect solution for outdoor eco Christmas decorations. They are designed especially to work with the British climate and can be put up anywhere outside. They come with either 40 red or 40 yellow lights. When fully charged, your solar powered lights will sparkle for up to 3 days without the need for more sunlight - so you could even bring them indoors.
2. Recycled Circuit board and CD Christmas decorations I’m loving my funky Christmas tree decorations made from recycled circuit boards and CD’s. So instead of spending money on new artificial Christmas decorations that won’t biodegrade decorate your tree with the ultimate in festive geek chic. The metal bits will catch the light, and they’ll look great on your tree, under all your (low energy) lights of course. Just in case you’re worried, no CD’s from any decent artists were harmed in the making of these products.
3. Recycled Christmas cards Did you know that in the UK we send about 1 billion Christmas cards every year? This year I’ve chosen some 100% recycled cards printed with vegetable based inks from designer Lisa Jones. The designs are nice too, they come in three types – Dove, Robin and Partridge.
4. I Used To Be A Car Tyre mouse Mat £4.99 This mouse mat used to be a car tyre, and is one of our favourite eco products. A great addition to your desk
5. The Solar Powered Electric Shaver No longer is being away from mains power is no reason to compromise on style. The new solar powered electric travel razor means you can be clean-shaven wherever you are. Making a great gift for the man in your life! Slim and compact it is ideal to tuck into a shirt pocket - its power comes from the integrated solar panel, remember to leave it in the sun to charge first! Perfect for next year’s festival circuit. Or just for the man who has everything.
6. The Juice Pack Woven Clutch Bag Something really different for a night out - this Clutch bag will get you noticed! Plenty of room for all your essentials, with a secure zip closure and a handy plaited wrist strap. Made from recycled juice packs that are cleverly woven together to make a strong, attractive bag.
We have a range of colourful environmentally friendly bags are made from recycled juice packs by a women’s cooperative in the Phillipines. They come in a range of styles and colours, and will make a great eco gift.
7. Grolsch Goblets These great environmentally friendly goblets are made from the iconic 450ml swing top Grolsch beer bottle, transformed into stylish and unique drinking glasses. Grolsch goblets are made by cutting away the base of the bottle, polishing the edges and bonding the base to the neck to form the foot. Hey presto, an upside down beer bottle glass.
As the glasses aren’t melted down, they save 90% of the energy normally used to make recycled glass. Hard-wearing, they come well-packaged in a cardboard gift pack of 2 glasses.
8. Kids Solar Powered Racing Car A wonderful little solar powered racing car, with gearbox and battery, for the boy racer in your family, to wire and build! Made from high quality pre-cut, coloured solid wooden pieces, once assembled, the car drives along a flat surface when the sun shines on the solar panel. Also available helicopters, robots, aircraft
9. The Tread ipod case This stylish and eco friendly iPod case has been developed to give your iPod Nano superior protection in a strong design. Handmade from recycled Colombian truck tyres, TREAD combines superior protection with style and functionality, fitting perfectly into an eco friendly lifestyle.
10. Wind Up Eco Media Player £169.99 Watch your favourite movies or music videos, listen to mp3 music files or tune into the radio, with this wind up and rechargeable video and music player, designed by Trevor Bayliss. It has 2Gb storage, and you can easily add to this with plug in SD cards. The eco wind-up system means that you never need to worry about running out of power or wasting environmentally harmful batteries - one minute of winding gives up to 40 minutes of play time.
All these and much more are available from Nigel’s Eco Store
- Increase in cancers and fertility problems may be caused by household chemicals and pharmaceuticals
- Apple, Amazon, Microsoft choose dirty energy to power growing cloud
- Stop Dodo launches a new Green Social Forum
- Marine Ingredients in Cosmetics: Sustainability Implications
- Organic farming enhances soil carbon stocks
- Harriet Lamb Appointed New CEO Of Fairtrade International
Related product news categories